Research has indicated it is beneficial to perform specific stretching techniques that may be helpful in preventing running injuries. It is wise to choose running shoes that fit correctly, assuring the heel and toes feel comfortable. The joints, muscles, and tendons can remain flexible when yoga is routinely practiced, which may help to increase the enjoyment of running. Additionally, many runners practice strength training, this can keep the muscles strong which may add to endurance. Any tension that is present may be alleviated when a massage is performed, helping this to aid the body in feeling relaxed. If you are contemplating the sport of running, it is suggested that you speak to a podiatrist who can advise you on how to prevent running injuries.
All runners should take extra precaution when trying to avoid injury. If you have any concerns about your feet, contact Dr. Michael D. Garvin of Florida. Our doctor will treat your foot and ankle needs.
How to Prevent Running Injuries
There are a lot of mistakes a runner can make prior to a workout that can induce injury. A lot of athletes tend to overstretch before running, instead of saving those workouts for a post-run routine. Deep lunges and hand-to-toe hamstring pulls should be performed after a workout instead of during a warmup. Another common mistake is jumping into an intense routine before your body is physically prepared for it. You should try to ease your way into long-distance running instead of forcing yourself to rush into it.
More Tips for Preventing Injury
- Incorporate Strength Training into Workouts - This will help improve the body’s overall athleticism
- Improve and Maintain Your Flexibility – Stretching everyday will help improve overall performance
- “Warm Up” Before Running and “Cool Down” Afterward – A warm up of 5-10 minutes helps get rid of lactic acid in the muscles and prevents delayed muscle soreness
- Cross-Training is Crucial
- Wear Proper Running Shoes
- Have a Formal Gait Analysis – Poor biomechanics can easily cause injury
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact our offices located in Port St. Lucie, FL . We offer the newest diagnostic and treatment technologies for all your foot care needs.Read more about Preventing Running Injuries